The Philippines is among the most disaster-prone countries of the world, with typhoons, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions
, accounting for more than 4 million displacements in 2019.?
In October 2019, a series of earthquakes hit Mindanao island, particularly affecting Tulunan, North Cotabato province (Region XII) in central Mindanao. The earthquakes killed 23 people, affected over 350,000 people, and caused severe infrastructure damage. As of 11 June, 74,240 people remain displaced (some 14,835 in evacuation centres and 59,405 with relatives/friends), with current needs unclear.?
In May 2020, Typhoon Ambo made landfall seven times, affecting 580,000 people in Eastern Samar, Calabarazon, and Bicol regions. Destructive winds, flooding, and landslides resulted in significant damage to agriculture and damaged 60,000 homes as well as multiple health facilities. As of 9 July, the shelters to accommodate those internally displaced have all been closed, with the current number of those still displaced unclear.?
Protracted armed conflict and clan violence in southern Mindanao has led to a complex humanitarian situation on Mindanao island. More than 140,000 people are displaced in Mindanao as a result of armed conflict, including 127,000 individuals still displaced from the siege on Marawi City in 2017.?
INFORM measures the Philippines's risk of humanitarian crisis and disaster to be high, at 5.3/10.?
There are no recent updates or developments. This crisis is being monitored by our analysis team.
ACAPS' team is daily monitoring the impact of COVID-19. Find more information related to the outbreak here.
Crisis Severity: 2.2
Humanitarian Conditions: 1.5
Access Constraints: 2
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
12 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Philippines - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA), Philippines Statistics Authority (PSA) - 02/09/2018
- Philippines - Subnational Population Statistics - Philippines Statistics Authority (PSA) - 06/05/2020
- Philippines - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - 01/01/2008-12/31/2019
- Philippines Displacement - IDPs -Mindanao Earthquake - Site Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - 12/21/2019
- Philippines: Key figures on the severely affected areas on 6.6 earthquake in Tulunan, Cotabato (North Cotabato) - OCHA Philippines - 11/30/2019
- Philippines: Population projections by Province level - OCHA Philippines - 10/04/2019
- Philippines - Affected Persons Locations - Department of Social Welfare Department (DSWD) - 11/29/2013
- Philippines - Barangays within affected municipalities (Typhoon Haiyan) - Population from NSO, List of Typhoon Haiyan(Yolanda) affected municipalities from DSWD - 11/27/2013
- Philippines - DROMIC data on municipalities within 50km radius of typhoon Haiyan - DSWD - 01/26/2014
- Philippines - Location of IDP Evacuation Centres in Zamboanga City - Department of Social Welfare and Development - 09/17/2013