In the northeast, the Boko Haram insurgency has affected more than 14 million people, and more than eight million are in need. After 10 years of conflict the group continues to carry out high-profile attacks against the military and civilians in Borno, Yobe, and Adamawa states. An escalation of Boko Haram attacks has been observed in the last six months in Borno state. Some 800,000 people in northeast Nigeria are entirely inaccessible.?
Violence between herders (also known as pastoralists) and farmers has continued for decades in Nigeria’s Middle Belt states of Taraba, Benue, Kaduna, Plateau, Nasarawa, and Adamawa. Farmer-herder clashes left more than 1,300 people dead and displaced 300,000 people across the country from January-June 2018. There is a lack of recent available data on the amount of people affected by farmer-herder violence.?
Farmer-herder conflict across the Middle-Belt region and the Boko Haram conflict in northeast Nigeria have severely affected food production systems. The areas most severely affected by food insecurity include Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria, where over 2.7 million people are projected to be food insecure (IPC Phases 3-5) in the June-August period.?
INFORM measures Nigeria's risk of humanitarian crisis and disaster to be very high, at 6.8/10.?
No significant recent humanitarian developments. This crisis is being monitored by our analysis team.
Crisis Severity: 3.8
Humanitarian Conditions: 3.5
Access Constraints: 4
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
Key Figures - 2019 HPC
- Tracking and monitoring the scope of internal displacements, returns and the needs for a comprehensive follow-up to inform interventions across all sectors
- Enhanced displacement management to ensure that minimum standards are upheld, and pathways reinforced for direct assistance through capacity building
- Support the maintenance, upgrade, care and decongestion of sites through site planning and improvements when required as well as coordinated assistance
- Strengthen Emergency Response through Camp Coordination and Camp Management in North East (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe)
- Providing safe housing and CCCM services to the conflict affected communities in Borno State
- Integrated CCCM and SNFI Response to vulnerable and conflict affected IDPs in Borno State
- Improving Displacement Management and Camp Management and Coordination in North-East Nigeria
|Shelter & DMS/CCCM: Sector CCCM Technical Working Group Meeting||13 Nov 2019|
|Nigeria:Shelter/CCCM(DMS) 4W_September 2019||11 Nov 2019|
|Nigeria: Shelter/CCCM(DMS) Monthly Factsheet - September 2019||11 Nov 2019|
|Nigeria: Shelter/CCCM(DMS) Shelter/NFI dashboard and partners presence - September 2019||08 Nov 2019|
|Nigeria: Shelter/CCCM(DMS) CCCM Dashboard - September 2019||08 Nov 2019|
19 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Nigeria Displacement Data - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - 07/01/2019-07/16/2019
- Nigeria Displacement Data - Site Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - 07/01/2019-07/16/2019
- Nigeria Displacement Data - Location Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - 07/01/2019-07/16/2019
- Nigeria - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - 01/01/2009-12/31/2018
- Nigeria - Administrative Boundaries (levels 0 - 3) and senatorial districts - Office for the Surveyor General of the Federation of Nigeria (OSGOF), Ehealth, United Nations Cartographic Section (UNCS) - 02/23/2017
- Nigeria 2016 Population Data - National Population Commission, Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, Polio Emergency Operational Center, WHO, UNICEF. - 07/31/2015
- Nigeria - Water Courses(Rivers) - DCW and ESRI - 02/02/2012
- Nigeria - Roads - DCW (the codification is updated by OCHA/ROWCA in Feb 2012) - 02/02/2012
- North East Nigeria Flood-affected Populations by Settlement Type as of June 2018 - iMMAP, IOM, CCCM, Shelter and NFI Sector - 07/22/2018
- North East Nigeria CCCM, ESNFI Activity Coverage and Operational Presence, June 2018 - iMMAP, IOM, CCCM, Shelter and NFI Sector - 07/21/2018