Insecurity stemming from crises in neighbouring countries impacts populations in Niger. In Diffa region, where a state of emergency has been in place since 2015, Boko Haram continues to carry out sporadic attacks on civilians and against the authorities, whilst around 168,000 Nigerian refugees have crossed the border seeking safety in Niger.?Cross-border violence and intercommunal tensions also affect Tillaberi and Tahoua regions, leading to significant population displacement. ?Since September 2018, the Burkina Faso border area has seen increasing attacks by jihadist armed groups against the local population and authorities, leading to States of Emergency declared in several departments. ?
INFORM measures Niger's risk of humanitarian crisis and disaster to be high, at 6.7/10. Lack of coping capacity and vulnerability are of particular concern at 7.6/10 and 6.8/10 respectively.?
At least 11,500 people, mostly women and children, fled villages in Sabon Birni LGA (Sokoto State, Nigeria) to Tahoua region (Niger) following three days of attacks in mid November that including killing, looting, and destruction of crops. The refugees are hosted in 26 villages in the rural commune of Bangui, which has been hosting 3,500 Nigerian refugees since September. The newly displaced need food assistance, WASH, shelter, and medical care. Violence causing displacement and insecurity in Sokoto state has been rising in 2021. Between September and November there were 35 incidents of violence involving attacks by armed gunmen and abductions and 229 fatalities, compared with 5 incidents and fatalities in the comparable period of 2020.?
Crisis Severity: 3.9
Humanitarian Conditions: 3.7
Access Constraints: 4
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
11 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Niger - Settlements - Institut National de la Statistique - [2021-10-31T00:00:00 TO *]
- Niger - Subnational Population Statistics - National Institute of Statistics - [2021-09-30T00:00:00 TO *]
- Sahel Population Movement Data - Multiple sources (Humanitarian Partners) - [2012-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-03-29T23:59:59]
- Niger: Population Movement - Comité National de collecte de données Personnes Déplacées Internes - [2021-06-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-09-30T23:59:59]
- GRID3 Niger Settlement Extents, Version 01.01 - Center for International Earth Science Information Network; Novel-T - [2021-12-21T00:00:00 TO *]
- Sahel - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - Refer to individual COD-AB datasets (linked below) - [2020-09-11T00:00:00 TO 2020-09-11T23:59:59]
- Niger - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - IGNN (as of 2006) and OCHA/ROWCA ( 2014/ 2015) - [2006-01-01T00:00:00 TO *]
- Niger - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2008-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2020-12-31T23:59:59]
- Niger - Elevation Model - SRTM - [2012-03-21T00:00:00 TO 2012-03-21T23:59:59]
- Niger - Roads - Agrymet regional center - [2007-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2007-01-01T23:59:59]