Cameroon has been experiencing an interplay of protracted crisis situations which continues to define political, economic and social developments in the country. Longstanding grievances in the anglophone community in Northwest and Southwest regions due to marginalisation of the minority English-speaking regions by the francophone-dominated government escalated into widespread protests and strikes in late 2016.?This has resulted in the emergence of different separatist groups clamouring for the creation of a self-proclaimed Ambazonian Republic in the northwest and southwest. Clashes between the military and the separatist forces has intensified insecurity in the regions, leaving over 573,900 people internally displaced and about 77,000 people seeking refuge in Neighbouring Nigeria.?
Boko Haram's insurgency in Nigeria's northeast has also spilled over into Cameroon's Far North region, mainly due to the proximity and porosity of borders between the two countries. After Nigeria, Cameroon is the second most-affected country by the violence and insecurity linked to BH in Lake Chad basin.?More than 124,000 Nigerian refugees fled to Cameroon's far north, while violence by Boko Haram and the Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) has also internally displaced more than 377,000 people in the same area.?
Apart from the above, Cameroon is also host to over 345,000 refugees from CAR mainly due to conflict.?The CAR refugees are predominately located in the Est, Adamaoua and Nord regions.
24/06/2022: More than 7,100 people preemptively fled Ndrock village (Far North) to other villages in Far North and North regions following attacks by armed groups between 12 and 16 June. Houses were burnt during the attacks and food, livestock and non-food items looted. Most urgent needs include shelter, food, NFIs and WASH.?
17/06/2022: On 8 June, Mamfe district hospital (Southwest region) was attacked and destroyed by an unidentified armed group. The hospital provided medical care to more than 85,000 people in the area, whose healthcare access will now be limited. Recurrent attacks in the Northewest and Southwest regions have resulted in more than 100 non-functional health facilities.?
Crisis Severity: 4.1
Humanitarian Conditions: 4.2
Access Constraints: 3
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
|Cameroon: Cameroun : Rapport de situation, 31 mai 2022||20 Jun 2022|
|Afghanistan: Asia-Pacific: Historical Monthly Data on Average…||18 May 2022|
|Afghanistan:…||18 May 2022|
|Movement in and out of Afghanistan (23 - 29 April 2022)||18 May 2022|
|Ukraine/Russia: The rights of Ukrainian prisoners of war from Azovstal must be respected||17 May 2022|
12 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Cameroon Displacement - [IDPs, Returnees, Refugees] - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - [2015-11-10T00:00:00 TO 2022-02-16T23:59:59]
- Cameroon - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2008-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-12-31T23:59:59]
- Cameroon - Subnational Edge-matched Administrative Boundaries - Institut National de Cartographie (INC) provided by OSM and ITOS - [2022-05-24T00:00:00 TO *]
- Sahel Population Movement Data - Multiple sources (Humanitarian Partners) - [2012-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-03-29T23:59:59]
- GRID3 Cameroon Settlement Extents, Version 01.01 - Center for International Earth Science Information Network; Novel-T - [2021-12-17T00:00:00 TO *]
- Sahel - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - Refer to individual COD-AB datasets (linked below) - [2020-09-11T00:00:00 TO 2020-09-11T23:59:59]
- Limites de la RDC et de 20 pays avoisinants / DRC and neighbouring countries - OpenStreetMap RDC - [2021-10-12T00:00:00 TO 2021-10-12T23:59:59]
- Cameroon - Socio-economic assessement of Central African refugees in Cameroon's Adamanou, Eastern and Northern regions 2016 - Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees - [2016-11-19T00:00:00 TO 2016-11-30T23:59:59]
- Cameroon - Analysis and Refinement of Targeting Mechanisms for Food and Multipurpose Cash Assistance to Central African Republic Refugees - 2016 - Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees - [2016-11-19T00:00:00 TO 2016-11-30T23:59:59]
- Cameroon - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - Institut National de Cartographie (INC) provided by OSM - [2018-12-17T00:00:00 TO *]