Since the Syrian civil war began in 2011, more than 227,400 civilians – including 29,520 children – have died as a result of the conflict ?. 6.7 million people are internally displaced in Syria, and 5.6 million are registered refugees in neighbouring countries. Turkey hosts the largest number of Syrian refugees, followed by Lebanon and Jordan. An estimated 13.4 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance. The humanitarian needs in Syria are severe across all sectors, with significant health, education, WASH, shelter, protection, and food needs. Years of conflict have left healthcare centres, hospitals, schools, and water and sanitation systems damaged or destroyed ?.
Syria faces an economic crisis, and the value of the Syrian pound has dropped to record lows. The economic downturn – which began when the conflict erupted – has accelerated since late 2019, leading to soaring prices of food, fuel, and other critical items. The cost of basic staples has increased by over 200% since late 2019 ?. Food prices are 20 times higher than their pre-conflict levels. Households are forced to adopt negative coping mechanisms, including child labour, early marriage, and cutting or reducing meals. As of 2021, an estimated 12.4 million people in Syria – more than 70% of the current population, and the highest level ever recorded in the country – are food insecure, up from 7.9 million in 2020 ?.
Military operations in Northwest Syria in and around Idlib displaced nearly a million people between December 2019–February 2020. There are an estimated 4.9 million people in need of humanitarian assistance in Northwest Syria. Over four million people reside in Northeast Syria, including thousands of internally displaced people and imprisoned members of Islamic State who are living in severely overcrowded conditions ?.
07/01/2022: The Sejer water pumping station serving Idleb city and outlying villages was affected in a series of airstrikes on 2 January. Initial assessment shows significant damage and the station went out of service, disrupting water access to more than 300,000 people ?.
Crisis Severity: 5
Humanitarian Conditions: 5
Access Constraints: 5
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
Key Figures - 2021 HPC
- Monitoring the provision of streamlined humanitarian life-saving, multi-sectoral assistance in IDPs sites and strengthening basic infrastructure.
- Improving the management quality in and accountability of camp management in IDP sites.
- Strengthening household and communal coping mechanisms in camp and camp-like settings and developing exit strategies.
- Disseminating operational information on movements of IDPs on a timely basis.
|Syria Cross Border - CCCM Cluster Induction Packet||17 Mar 2021|
|Fire Prevention and Response Guidance Note (عربي)||14 Dec 2020|
|CCCM Cluster Strategy 2020-2021||08 Dec 2020|
|Fire Prevention and Response Guidance Note||04 Dec 2020|
|CCCM COVID-19 Guidance Notes(ar)||04 May 2020|
|CCCM COVID-19 Guidance Notes||04 May 2020|
|Camp Establishment Guidance Notes||17 Feb 2020|
|HLP sensitive interventions in IDP Sites||17 Feb 2020|
25 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Population, Displacement and Return Movements in Northern Syria - Assistance Coordination Unit - [2020-06-01T00:00:00 TO *]
- Syrian Arab Republic - Subnational Administrative Boundaries and Populated Places - United Nations Cartographic Section (UNCS) and United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) - [2021-01-15T00:00:00 TO 2021-01-15T23:59:59]
- Syrian Arab Republic: Baseline Population - Population Task Force - [2021-08-31T00:00:00 TO 2021-08-31T23:59:59]
- Syrian Arab Republic: IDP movements and IDP spontaneous return movements Data - NPM, the CCCM cluster and the IDP Task Force - [2019-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-10-31T23:59:59]
- Syrian Arab Republic - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2009-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2020-12-31T23:59:59]
- Syria IDP flow data - September 2017 - Syria IDP Task Force (OCHA Turkey, OCHA Jordan, OCHA Damascus, CCCM cluster and NPM - [2017-10-23T00:00:00 TO 2017-10-23T23:59:59]
- Northwest Syria: Needs and Intentions of New IDP Arrivals in Camps and Informal Sites - REACH Initiative - [2019-12-25T00:00:00 TO 2019-12-27T23:59:59]
- Rapid Needs Assessment for Idleb Governorate and Surrounding Communities May 24-31 - REACH Initiative - [2018-06-11T00:00:00 TO 2018-06-11T23:59:59]
- Syrian Arab Republic - Water Bodies - Open Street Map - [2012-12-31T00:00:00 TO 2012-12-31T23:59:59]
- Population Monitoring Initiative - November 2017 - iMMAP - [2017-11-15T00:00:00 TO 2017-11-19T23:59:59]