The Boko Haram insurgency in northeastern Nigeria, surging banditry violence in the northwest, incessant farmer/herder conflict in the Middle Belt and a growing Cameroonian refugee population in the south have contributed to a complex humanitarian crisis. Boko Haram, and its break-out faction ISWAP have continued insurgent activities for over 10 years, including military garrison attacks and attacks on communities and infrastructure. Nigerian government forces and the African Union Multinational Joint Task Force have responded to the militant groups' activities with military operations, causing further insecurity and displacement. The insurgency has further spread to Niger, Chad and Cameroon in the Lake Chad Basin with over 1.8m people internally displaced in Nigeria alone.?
In Nigeria's northwest, activities of 'bandits' in Sokoto, Kaduna, Kebbi, Niger, Zamfara and Katsina states have internally displaced over 160,000 people while causing about 41,000 more to flee to Maradi in neighbouring Niger.?Bandits have engaged in killings, kidnappings for ransom, cattle rustling, and sexual violence in communities.
Violence between herders (also known as pastoralists) and farmers has continued for decades in Nigeria’s Middle Belt states of Taraba, Benue, Kaduna, Plateau, Nasarawa, and Adamawa. Farmer-herder clashes left more than 1,300 people dead and displaced 300,000 people across the country from January-June 2018. There is a lack of recent available data on the amount of people affected by farmer-herder violence.?
The intensification of Cameroon's Anglophone crisis has pushed more than 60,000 people across the Bakassi peninsula into Nigeria.? These refugees are hosted in Nigerian states of Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross River and Taraba states. Many of the refugees are in need of food, WASH, health, relief and non-relief materials.
No significant recent humanitarian developments. This crisis is being monitored by our analysis team.
Crisis Severity: 4.3
Humanitarian Conditions: 4
Access Constraints: 5
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
Key Figures - 2021 HPC
- Enhanced displacement management in camps and out of camp settings to ensure a protective environment through an effective flow of information to facilitate coordination and quality of integrated service provision.
- Enhance resilience and improved ability of communities and local partners to cope with displacement and ensure local ownership and self-governance through inclusive participation, gender mainstreaming and engagement of displaced persons.
|OCHA Nigeria Situation Report for Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States No. 15||30 Nov 2021|
|Nigeria: CCCM/Shelter NFI Factsheet - Third Quarter 2021 [EN]||24 Nov 2021|
|Nigeria: CCCM/Shelter NFI Factsheet - October 2021 [EN]||24 Nov 2021|
|Nigeria: CCCM(DMS) dashboard - October 2021||24 Nov 2021|
|Nigeria: Shelter/NFI dashboard: October 2021||24 Nov 2021|
24 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Nigeria Displacement - [IDPs] - Location Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - [2021-06-21T00:00:00 TO 2021-07-27T23:59:59]
- Nigeria Displacement - [IDPs] - Site Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - [2021-06-21T00:00:00 TO 2021-07-27T23:59:59]
- Nigeria Displacement - [IDPs] - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - [2021-06-21T00:00:00 TO 2021-07-27T23:59:59]
- Sahel - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - Refer to individual COD-AB datasets (linked below) - [2020-09-11T00:00:00 TO 2020-09-11T23:59:59]
- Nigeria Displacement - [Returnees] - [IOM DTM] - International Organisation for Migration (IOM) - [2021-01-05T00:00:00 TO 2021-06-06T23:59:59]
- Nigeria - Subnational Population Statistics - UNFPA and United States Census Bureau - PEPFAR program - [2021-06-18T00:00:00 TO *]
- Nigeria - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2009-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2020-12-31T23:59:59]
- Nigeria - Subnational Administrative Boundaries - Office for the Surveyor General of the Federation of Nigeria (OSGOF), Ehealth, United Nations Cartographic Section (UNCS) - [2017-02-23T00:00:00 TO *]
- Nigeria Displacement Data - North Central & West Zones - Location Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2019-09-04T00:00:00 TO 2019-10-16T23:59:59]
- Nigeria Displacement Data - North Central & West Zones - Site Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2019-09-04T00:00:00 TO 2019-10-16T23:59:59]