At least 941,000 people in Myanmar are in need of assistance. The driver of humanitarian needs is the longstanding conflict between the Myanmar Army and various ethnic armed groups. ?
In Rakhine conflict escalated in August 2017 when ARSA fighters attacked police and military posts. The army retaliated with a violent crackdown against the Rohingya population, causing over 700,000 people to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh, adding to the approximately 200,000 refugees that were already living in Cox’s Bazar. Almost 128,000 people are still living in IDP camps in Rakhine, as of 31 January. ? Additionally, since January 2019 fighting between the Myanmar Army and the Arakan Army has escalated in northern Rakhine. By 6 April 2019, some 27,000 people have been newly displaced, and are living in temporary shelters in Ponnakyun, Kyauktaw, Mrauk-U, Minbya, Rathedaung, and Buthidaung townships. ?
About 105,138 people are internally displaced in northern Shan and Kachin states due to conflict. Almost 38,000 people, or 35% of the IDPs, live in non-government-controlled areas, where access is limited or restricted. ?
For 2019, INFORM measures Myanmar's risk of humanitarian crisis and disaster at 6.6/10. The country scored particularly high in the "Hazard and exposure" category, at 8.6/10.
No significant recent humanitarian developments. This crisis is being monitored by our analysis team.
Crisis Severity: 2.9
Humanitarian Conditions: 2.5
Access Constraints: 4
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
Key Figures - 2019 HPC
- IDPs receive protection from the elements to support their dignity, security and privacy through provision of NFIs and emergency, temporary or semi-permanent shelter where appropriate
- Support management and service provision in IDP camps to improve IDPs’ quality of life
7 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Myanmar - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - 01/01/2008-12/31/2018
- Myanmar Boundaries Admin level 0-3 - MIMU, UNODC, WFP - 03/11/2019
- Myanmar Settlements - Towns - MIMU, UNODC, WFP - 07/01/2019
- Myanmar Towns July 2019 - Myanmar Information Management Unit (MIMU) - 07/18/2019
- Myanmar - Transportation network - MIMU - 06/28/2019
- Myanmar Sea Port - Myanmar Port Authority - 01/16/2019
- Myanmar Population - Census 2014 - UNFPA, DOP, MIMU - 07/16/2015