A complex emergency has persisted in DRC for more than 20 years. Population displacement is frequent and repeated, and mostly driven by armed clashes and intercommunal violence between foreign, self-defence, and other armed groups. More than five million people are internally displaced. The situation in the eastern provinces remains particularly volatile: humanitarian needs are high, as displaced and local populations are faced with violence, food insecurity, floods, disease outbreaks, and the secondary effects of COVID-19 restrictions. Over 998,000 refugees from DRC live in African host countries as at 31 October. DRC hosted about 515,000 refugees (mainly from Rwanda, Central African Republic, Congo, and Angola) as at 30 September.??Since mid-December 2020, 92,000 refugees fleeing violence related to the 27 December elections in CAR have arrived in Bas-Uele, Nord-Ubangi, and Sud-Ubangi provinces. Most of the arrivals are located in villages close to the river border, where access is a challenge and where host communities were already struggling to meet their own needs. ?
Over 7,900 protection incidents were reported across DRC in 2020, a 21% increase from 2019 attributable to the deteriorating security situation in conflict-affected areas. 93% of recorded violations occurred in Nord-Kivu, Ituri, and Sud-Kivu. Reported extrajudicial killings by armed groups increased dramatically, from 1,029 in 2019 to 2,487 in 2020. ?
The food crisis in DRC is likely to worsen in the months to come. From January–June 2022, 25.9 million people are estimated in Crisis (IPC Phase 3) or above, with 5.4 million people estimated in Emergency (IPC Phase 4). 19.6 million people were projected to need food assistance for the January–June 2021 period. This deterioration is explained by poor harvests, displacement caused by waves of violence, and crops’ diseases.?
No significant recent humanitarian developments. This crisis is being monitored by our analysis team.
Crisis Severity: 4.6
Humanitarian Conditions: 4.5
Access Constraints: 4
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
30 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Displacement - [returnees] - Site Assessment [OCHA] - Commissions Mouvements de Populations (CMP), OIM, OCHA et Partenaires - [2020-01-07T00:00:00 TO 2020-10-18T23:59:59]
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Humanitarian Needs Overview - Multiple sources (Humanitarian Partners) - [2018-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-12-31T23:59:59]
- Demographic Republic of the Congo: Displacement - [Déplacé] - Site Assessment [OCHA] - Commissions Mouvements de Populations (CMP), OIM, OCHA et Partenaires - [2021-06-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-12-07T23:59:59]
- GRID3 Democratic Republic of the Congo Settlement Extents, Version 01.01 - Center for International Earth Science Information Network; Novel-T - [2021-12-20T00:00:00 TO *]
- Zones de santé (RDC) / Health zones (DRC) - OpenStreetMap RDC - [2020-07-09T00:00:00 TO 2021-12-12T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement - [IDPs] - Site Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration (IOM) - [2019-07-31T00:00:00 TO 2019-07-31T23:59:59]
- Limites de la RDC et de 20 pays avoisinants / DRC and neighbouring countries - OpenStreetMap RDC - [2021-10-12T00:00:00 TO 2021-10-12T23:59:59]
- Mouvement de population - OCHA DR Congo - [2021-07-19T00:00:00 TO *]
- Democratic Republic of the Congo - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2008-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2020-12-31T23:59:59]
- RDC - Statistiques des populations par zones de santé - DRC IM Working Group - [2019-09-10T00:00:00 TO *]