A complex emergency has persisted in DRC for more than 20 years. Population displacement is frequent and repeated, and mostly driven by armed clashes and intercommunal violence between foreign, self-defence, and other armed groups. More than 5 million people are internally displaced. The situation in the eastern provinces remains particularly volatile; humanitarian needs are projected to be higher in 2021 than at the beginning of 2020, as displaced and local populations are faced with violence, food insecurity, floods, disease outbreaks, and the secondary effects of COVID-19 restrictions. Over 941,000 refugees from DRC live in African host countries. DRC also hosts about 527,000 refugees, mainly from Rwanda, Central African Republic, Congo, and Angola.? Since mid-December 2020, 92,000 refugees fleeing violence related to the 27 December elections in CAR have arrived in Bas-Uele, Nord-Ubangi, and Sud-Ubangi provinces. Most of the arrivals are located in villages close to the river border, where access is a challenge and where host communities were already struggling to meet their own needs. ?
Over 7,900 protection incidents were reported across DRC in 2020, a 21% increase from 2019 attributable to the deteriorating security situation in conflict-affected areas. 93% of recorded violations occurred in Nord-Kivu, Ituri, and Sud-Kivu. Reported extrajudicial killings by armed groups increased dramatically, from 1,029 in 2019 to 2,487 in 2020. ?
19.6 million people – 29% of the analysed population – are projected to need food assistance for the January–June 2021 period. This is an increase from the 13.56 million (28% of the analysed population) in the same period last year. It is, however, a decrease from the July–December 2020 period (21.8 million, or 33% of the analysed population), mainly because predictions for the January–June 2021 period include the easing of COVID-19 restrictions and favourable weather conditions. Insecurity, displacement, and poor transport infrastructure will continue to hamper the population’s access to food.?
16/07/2021: The province of Maniema (centre-east) has recorded an increase in the number of measles cases in several health zones, from less than 200 to more than 800 cases in June. Since January 2021, the province has reported 3,194 cases, including 67 deaths. Some humanitarian organisations have planned a vaccination campaign in six health zones in July.?
12/07/2021: About 14,000 people in Kahinda and Kanunu towns (Tanganyika province) urgently need WASH, health, food, and NFI assistance. Most of them are IDP returnees who fled to Nyunzu and Kolongi towns following NSAG attacks in 2017. Because of the security situation in Nyunzu, they returned to Kahinda and Kanunu in 2020.?
07/07/2021: Since 12 June, around 16,000 people have fled to a makeshift camp near a MONUSCO base in Djaiba locality following armed group attacks in Fataki, in Djugu territory (Ituri province). No return movement has been reported despite a recent period of calm. IDPs urgently need food, NFI, and shelter assistance.?
05/07/2021: Following the 7 June attack which destroyed Boga’s general hospital in Ituri province, 31 people have died for lack of proper treatment according to medical authorities. It was the only hospital in the Boga health zone. Around 80,000 people relied on the hospital to receive health care.?ACAPS' team is daily monitoring the impact of COVID-19. Find more information related to the outbreak here.
Crisis Severity: 4.5
Humanitarian Conditions: 4.5
Access Constraints: 4
Information courtesy of ACAPS. https://www.acaps.org/
29 Common Operating Datasets or CCCM-tagged datsets are on the Humanitarian Data Exchange:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: Humanitarian Needs Overview - Multiple sources - [2021-07-29T00:00:00 TO 2021-12-31T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement - [Déplacé] - Site Assessment [OCHA] - OCHA DR Congo - [2021-06-01T00:00:00 TO 2021-06-30T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement - [retournés] - Site Assessment [OCHA] - OCHA DR Congo - [2020-01-29T00:00:00 TO 2020-01-29T23:59:59]
- Mouvement de population - OCHA DR Congo - [2021-07-19T00:00:00 TO *]
- Democratic Republic of the Congo - Internally displaced persons - IDPs - IDMC - [2008-01-01T00:00:00 TO 2020-12-31T23:59:59]
- RDC - Statistiques des populations par zones de santé - DRC IM Working Group - [2019-09-10T00:00:00 TO *]
- DRC Displacement - [IDPs, Returnees] - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2020-05-31T00:00:00 TO 2020-05-31T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement Data - Ituri Province - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2020-01-15T00:00:00 TO 2020-10-28T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement Data - South Kivu Province - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2020-09-19T00:00:00 TO 2020-10-22T23:59:59]
- DRC Displacement Data - North Kivu Province - Baseline Assessment [IOM DTM] - International Organization for Migration - [2020-01-07T00:00:00 TO 2020-02-23T23:59:59]